We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Monday, January 10, 2011

The Cleanest Toilet Ever! Au-Natural!!!

Happy New Year! A new year is here and it is sure to bring us all some ups and downs and all-arounds! I am optimistic that our year will be bright and we recently found out that baby #2 will be a girl! My due-date is May 12th so there is a lot for my family to look forward too!

As Ally mentioned, I was recently very sick with a Norwalk-type virus...it hit me hard and I don't know about you but when I get sick and then recover, I have this urgency to clean and cleanse the house from top to bottom! We just moved into a new house before Christmas and then spent the holidays in Winnipeg, so we still had lots of organizing to do when we got home. Being sick, only prolonged the inevitable task. I figured since I was the one who had been so ill, I should probably take it upon myself once better to give our new bathroom, a head-to-toe clean!



I didn't want to use harsh chemicals and have tried in the past just using baking soda when cleaning our toilet bowl, but haven't found the results, anything to brag about. So before I cleaned, I did some further research before cleaning and stumbled upon this cool site: http://verdavivo.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/5-ways-to-clean-your-toilet-naturally/
This lady Daryl is passionate about the environment, and leading a 'greener' life. She wrote a fabulous article that you can read by clicking on the above link and it's called '5 Ways To Clean Your Toilet Naturally'. After reading her article and realizing that I only had 2 of the ingredients in my house that she recommended, I decided to clean my toilet bowl with vinegar and water! Daryl recommended that you pour 1 cup of white vinegar into the toilet bowl and let it sit for 30 minutes. I did this and let the vinegar sit for about 45 minutes. After that, you simply add to the toilet bowl 1/2 cup of baking soda and the fun begins! When I added the baking soda, my toilet bowl entered a happy state of chemical-reactions and started making a fizzing/bubbling sound. I then took my toilet-cleaning brush and scrubbed away...did I say scrub? It really wasn't a tedious task at all. I barely had to touch the sides of the toilet because the two products really did everything themselves! I swear, my toilet bowl has never looked cleaner! Once I flushed the toilet that is! Seriously it took no time at all and I had no lingering, chemical smells and I knew that what I was flushing down the toilet wasn't going to harm the environment in a hugely detrimental way, compared with the ingredients you would find in most cleaners.

Thought that I would share my story with you as it was so simple, requires only 2 common household products (white vinegar and baking soda), is environmentally friendly and good for your health and household too! The added bonus is that by using baking soda and vinegar instead of conventional and hazardous cleaning products, you are not only being so much kinder to your health and the environment, but you are saving a bundle too! YAY! Dan and I made a new budget with the amazing help of Dan's parents over the holidays and are really trying to work on making smarter financial decisions and stick to a more concrete budget (this does not come naturally to neither Dan nor I). We are both feeling confident that this new year will bring us new wisdom to make the best choices for our family and our future!

If you are interested, I found another interesting article that simply lays out other ideas in which baking soda and vinegar can clean your house!

http://factoidz.com/what-i-have-learned-about-going-green-and-going-natural/

No comments:

Post a Comment