We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pumpkin-Spice Muffins

I REALLY tried to muster up the courage and inspiration to cook something... but alas... I baked again! What can I say? I'm a baker at heart (I will make a cooker out of me one day, though).

Today's 'challenge'... pumpkin-spice muffins (no challenge at all, such an easy and fast recipe)

Thanks again to Babycakes for the great recipe... I will visit your NYC bakery some time in my life!

Pumpkin-Spice Muffins

Makes: 12 muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1/2 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup agave nectar
2/3 cup rice milk
2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/2 cup hot water

Directions:
-Preheat the oven to 325 F and line a 12-muffin tin with cups
-In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, cinnamon, and ginger
-Add the oil, agave, rice milk, and vanilla to the dry ingredients
-Stir until the batter is smooth and thick
-Use a plastic spatula, fold in the pumpkin and hot water until both are evenly distributed throughout the batter
-Pour 1/3 cup batter into each cup, almost filling it
-Bake muffins on center rack for 22 minutes (rotating them 180 degrees after 10 minutes)
-The finished muffins will be soft to the touch and a toothpick will come out clean
-Let the muffins stand in the tin for 15 minutes and after transfer to a wire rack to cool
-Store at room temp in an air tight container for up to 3 days


They were AMAZING


Notes: I used exactly 1/3 cup batter in each cup, but my batch made 15 muffins, not 12 (and, as you can see, the muffins came over the top, but they look great anyways!). Babycakes talks a lot about using the exact ingredients in the recipe (they are tried and tested), so be sure to use the right flour (gluten-free, all-purpose... it has quite a different texture). I used vanilla rice milk for this recipe. I had a little trouble with the coconut oil (I had to open up a new jar and I hadn't let it 'soften' enough) as I had trouble mixing it all in. My baking time was probably 27-29 minutes (not 22 minutes). The muffins were perfectly done though (not overdone, but so soft and moist that if I had taken them out a minute earlier they would be doughy).




My mom LOVED them (and so did I!). She really wished I had developed some sort of vegan 'cream cheese' icing for these (but she admits they are utterly delectable without as well)



Enjoy!


P.s. Don't you just love organizing your cupboards? We're in the process of buying matching containers and getting everything neat and organized... it's so fun!

(we still have a long way to go...)

No comments:

Post a Comment